So, it seems that I am not the only one struggling with writing about s-e-x. Here are some links that might help.
- Steve Almond tells How to Write A Sex Scene. “Therefore, in the interest of preventing more bad sex writing from entering the cultural jet stream, I am officially setting out my 12-Step Program for Writing Incredibly Hot Scenes.”
- Were these sex scenes written by a man or a woman?
- The Joy of Writing Sex is a great how-to guide. You know she had me when she used Toni Morrison has an example of a really sexy writer.
- Writing about sex for YA audiences. “The considerations of how to deal with the (touchy, sticky – insert pun of choice here) topic of sex in such a way that is appropriate for readers of varying levels of maturity can seem extremely complex. Add to that the worry about censorship, people accusing us of corrupting their kids, the issue of portraying responsible sex, etc. “
- In the spirit of no inhibitions, here are 25 Tips for Writing About Sex. “Do not watch [porn] for inspiration..because porn is to sex what McDonald’s is to food.
I know, I have been a terrible blogger lately. I have been so dialed up with all the Silver Sparrow pre-pub stuff. It’s all I can think about, but I don’t want this blog to be a Silver Sparrow journal. But I miss blogging, so I’m back! I can’t say that I’ll be my normal three-times-a-week self. But I am always on line, so follow me on twitter or tumblr.
#JustRead is a new hashtag started by Dolen to recommend good books.
And speaking of the twitter… 15 black writers to follow.
Writers and their dogs.
To outline, or not to outline. (I vote not, but that’s just me.)
Writers talk about their book covers.
How to be a good literary critic.
Billy Joel changed his mind about publishing his autobiography. And gave back MILLIONS of dollars that he got as an advance.
Crazy dog-walking ad.
A delicious pear-Riesling sorbet
Stages of grief after a critique.
Meanwhile, here’s some yummy stuff I have found on line that you will like.
And the highlights from my tumblr–
The murder map for the Atlanta Child Murders.
A young Chinua Achebe. (so handsome!)
The flip side of the Rosa Parks myth. Youhave to see this.